Southwest Chicken Kiev
This updated version of Chicken Kiev, created by Lesley Tragesser, uses taco seasoning and green chilies to give it a tasty Southwestern feel. The Charleston, Missouri reader utilizes the microwave, which keeps the stove clean, and don't worry, the cracker coating still stays crispy.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 cup miniature cheese crackers, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- In a shallow bowl, combine cracker crumbs and taco seasoning; set aside. In another bowl, combine 3 tablespoons butter, cheese, chilies, onion and salt. Shape mixture into six balls.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Place a butter ball in the center of each. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining butter. Dip chicken in butter, then coat evenly with cracker mixture.
- Place seam side down in a greased shallow round 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 325 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 530mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Microwave Chicken Kiev in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.