- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mashed winter squash, thawed (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Diced avocado and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or just until onion is tender.
- Stir in squash, barley, seasonings and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
Add beans, corn, cream, salsa and cilantro; heat through, stirring occasionally. If desired, serve with avocado and tomatoes.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or milk if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forSouthwest Chicken Barley Chowder
"I know that taco seasoning is a popular seasoning but I think using fresh spices from the pantry is much better and there are no unwanted additives. It is easy to make your own. I use mild chile powder, cumin, oregano, and sometimes cilantro. For heat, I use Kashmiri mirch, a very hot but delicious ground pepper. We never use garlic but that is also an option for those who like it. Making your own means you can control the amount of each spice or herb to your satisfaction."
"Different and tasty. I think I'd increase the taco seasoning next time."
"This is delicious!! I forgot to purchase squash and had a bag of frozen cauliflower. I cooked it, ran it in the blender to a mashed-potato consistency, and used that instead. It was amazing! I definitely want to try it with the squash, but if you are in a pinch, the cauliflower works well."
"I love finding nutritious recipes like this for my family. I made it with whole milk instead of the half-and-half and it was still really tasty. We also really enjoyed the avocado and tomato on top."
"This was very good! I couldn't find frozen mashed winter squash so I made my own a week before and froze it. I also used less cilantro - just personal taste. Loved the avocado and tomato garnished on top too!"
"Very easy and good. Next time will decrease taco seasoning a bit."