- 2 medium ears sweet corn
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Remove and discard corn husks and silk. Brush 1 tablespoon oil over ears of corn. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cut corn from cobs.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, red pepper, jalapenos, cilantro and corn.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, garlic, chili powder, salt, pepper and remaining oil; pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Cook rice according to package directions; cool. Just before serving, stir rice and avocados into salad. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Chicken & Rice Salad
"We all loved this. I kept a couple of the jalapeno seeds in to give it a very small kick. It was fairly simple to make and very tasty. The only advice I'd give is if you know the entire dish is not going to be consumed in one day and expect leftovers, don't mix in the avocado. I'd keep it separate because the avocado does not taste that great in the leftovers, even though the rest of it is still delicious. If it's all likely going to be eaten, mix it all in there."
"This was absolutely delicious. The flavors all went well together, and the spice amount was perfect. I love the avocado in there. I used this as a main dish for my husband and I; as a main dish, it will feed about 4 people. Leftovers taste just as good, too!"
"This was great! I did however make a few minor changes...used chopped tomato in place of the red pepper, doubled the cilantro and added a couple of sliced green onions. My son suggested it might be really good with a little crumbled queso fresco in it and I think I just might try that next time."