- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2-3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- In a large saucepan, bring the brown rice, wild rice and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, beans, corn, red pepper, onion, green onions, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, cayenne and pepper. Stir in rice.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Casserole
"I added more pepper and cumin. I had to bake it longer until the onions and red pepper were tender."
"I made this and my family all loved it. We ate it with tortilla chips as a dip of sorts. Very good."