- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 8 slices pepper Jack cheese (1/2 ounce each)
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices and red onion rings
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans. Stir in the onion, corn, bread crumbs, chilies, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Crumble beef and turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Combine mayonnaise and salsa; refrigerate until serving.
- Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165° and juices run clear.
- Top with cheese; cover and grill 1-2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve on buns with toppings if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Burgers
"I liked the flavor, but it did taste more like a southwestern meatloaf then a burger. For personal and diet reasons we didn't add corn or bread crumbs. After reading all the problems of them falling apart I used all ground beef (turkey doesn't seem to be as firm) and did try an egg. Used oil on the grill to keep from sticking and falling apart and it did "OK". Don't see this as something I would really make again, maybe in a meatloaf pan I might."
"I was so dissapointed with this recipe....I made these for dinner last night and followed the recipe to a tee...they fell apart on the grill. I couldnt flip them without them going into pieces...maybe they should have had an egg to hold them together. I had 8 people over for dinner and had to send my husband to the store to get some ground beef at the last minute to cook some regular ones. What a stressful mess. I thought they had good flavor, but had to eat them with a fork...not on a bun!!!just sayin.....11 minutes ago · LikeUnlike."
"The flavor of these was okay but they fell to pieces when you tried to flip them on the grill!"
"This recipe is great, my wife even enjoyed these. This is a keeper in my book. It is healthy also.Ken"
"Looks like too many ingredients - and since I don't grill, I look for recipes that suggest alternate methods."
"I am from Ft Worth also but never had one of these - may be good thoughEd"
"We will never make these again - and yes, we did follow the recipe exactly. They came all to pieces on the grill and made such a mess!!! The taste was average - not bad, but not great either."
"This are great! I made it as stated in the recipe and they weren't too spicy but still had a nice zip to them."