- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, jalapeno and onion and over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chilies.
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over crust; top with sausage mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with red and green peppers and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Breakfast Tart
"Due to lack of planning for overnight guests, I had some but not all of the ingredients for this quiche. Instead of sausage, I chopped up a couple of pieces of bacon and sauteed with the onion, then used cubed ham left from Christmas dinner. I substituted a few jarred jalapenos for the fresh jalapenos and green chilies, and had to add a little mozzarrella to the monterey jack. It was still wonderful!"