Southwest Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, beans, picante sauce, water, cumin, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until corn is tender. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 344 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 847mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 7g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Southwest Beef Stew
"I used 1 lb ground beef , 1 can cream of corn, omitted the salt and pepper. Didn't change anything else. Next time I'll use regular corn."
"My daughters give this two thumbs up and I would have given it 5 stars, but there were no stars with which to rate it. :) It was easy and very tasty and I had all of the ingredients except for picante sauce. I used salsa instead. We had tortilla chips with ours."
"I made some adjustments to suit what I had on hand, and it was very delicious. Next time I will make sure to cook it in the crock pot so the flavors have more time to blend. Thanks for another great recipe!"
"This is absolutely a new family favorite. My young daughter always requests it!"
"My husband and two kids loved this recipe :-)"
"This is so easy and very nice on a cold day. Tasty too."
"This is one of my families favorites and I love it because it is quick to prepare and I get raves at the table... family thinks I spend a lot of time at this, but truth be told I usually toss all the ingredients into a crock pot and let it prepare itself. Sometimes I use a chicken breast, pork chop or piece of beef roast to change it up. I spice it up a bit more with some chipotle pepper and chopped green chilies and it's always a hit!"