Southwest Beef Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups coarsely crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place tortilla chips in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, water, taco seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture over chips; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 448 calories, 26g fat (11g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1035mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Apr 15, 2015
Loved it,but we all got heartburn, why I don't know. I will make it again to see if we get heartburn again, other then that it was good. Thanks- Lee-Ann Treacher
Dec 30, 2014
I am going to make this for my son and his wife and five grandchildren. It looks like it will be something that they will love. I also long for the OLD TASTE OF HOME magazine.
Sep 2, 2014
Made this today and added re-fried beans and Doritos as suggested by other reviewers. It didn't really make a pie for me. It was too loose. It ended up being more of a hot dip. It was pretty tasty though, so I suggested to my husband that we use this recipe as a hot dip for tortilla chips on game day. He said that's a good idea!
Dec 9, 2012
Needed a veggie, so I threw in some corn to the meat mixture and used doritos instead of regular tortilla chips. Kids loved it.
Sep 16, 2012
I liked this recipe, I thought it had a lot of flavor.
Sep 10, 2012
We used Doritos, as that's what I had on hand. My kids LOVED this! Served w/ sour cream, salsa, lettuce and black olives.
Sep 6, 2012
A response to Matilad_Ca46. You say there is alot of sodium. Yes that is true ther is but there are ways to lower that. Get no added salt in the tomatoe sauce and get the lower sodium taco seasoning. There is always ways to adjust the recipe to your liking. Adding things is always a good thing. It is trial and error. Just try other things and have fun doing it.
Jun 8, 2012
This was really good. I think I will add sliced black olives to the meat mixture next time for even more flavor!
Sep 18, 2011
Holy-mply! The amount of sodium in this is unbelievable! Quick and easy is one thing, deadly is quite another. Sounds good, but I sure won't be fixing it.
Sep 15, 2011
After reading the reviews I figured this might not be spicy enough so I used Doritos instead of plain tortilla chips. I also mixed in a can of refried beans with green chilies into the ground beef mixture. Served with some lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream, it was a hit with the whole family!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.