Southwest Barley Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 quarts beef or chicken broth
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 176 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 9g fiber), 8g protein.
Feb 18, 2014
Turned out well... Will make again!
Sep 12, 2008
This is the most delicious, heartiest stew we've ever tried. It's a HUGE hit at our house...we make it all the time! The barley is scrumptuous, and the recipe is very flavorful and easy. This is a real winner!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.