Southwest Barley Salad Recipe
With black beans, corn, peppers and onions, this tasty barley dish is a filling accompaniment to any entree. Plus, the salad can be served warm or cold.—Lois Taylor, Russellville, Alabama
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 1. In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine the corn, beans, peppers, onions, cilantro and garlic. Stir in barley.
- 2. Just before serving, combine the salsa, sour cream and lime juice; add to barley mixture. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 184 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Southwest Barley Salad
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC