- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (14 ounces) Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 10 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add kielbasa; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add carrots and onion to same pot; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in kielbasa and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 35-45 minutes or until lentils and barley are tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (4-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forSouthwest Barley & Lentil Soup
"Since we've been having such cold weather, I thought I'd try this soup. The southwest flavor of this hearty soup was warm and comforting. I used smoked sausage from the farmer's market and I did not have crushed tomatoes so I used a 15.5 ounce jar of mild salsa instead. Next time I make it I want to try it with regular ground meat and maybe cut back on the cumin a bit. Also, it is one of those soups that tastes better "the day after" ... and it freezes well. All in all ...... this is a delicious and warming soup .... made thick and hearty with the barley. 5 stars for sure."
"I used cooked ground turkey in stead of the sausage."