Southern Sweet Potato Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- In a medium saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender, about 5-8 minutes (do not overcook). Drain; toss with the lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange zest, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Add the warm potatoes, celery and dates. Toss to coat well. Cover and chill.
- Before serving, gently stir in pecans. Spoon salad onto a lettuce-lined platter. Arrange oranges around salad.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 381 calories, 28g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 27, 2008
We made this as a new recipe for Thanksgiving and it was just gross. It might have been edible without the ginger, but even then, I cannot imagine it tasting good. We followed the recipe exactly and cannot imagine how this became a blue ribbon recipe.
Nov 27, 2008
This recipe was disgusting. The ginger flavor overwhelmed everything else. It certainly did not taste like anything I've ever had in the South. It was fun to make and pretty to look at, but gross. :(
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.