- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Lettuce leaves
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- In a medium saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water just until tender, about 5-8 minutes (do not overcook). Drain; toss with the lemon juice. In a large bowl, combine, mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange peel, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Add the warm potatoes, celery and dates. Toss to coat well. Cover and chill. Before serving, gently stir in pecans. Spoon salad onto a lettuce-lined platter. Arrange oranges around salad. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Sweet Potato Salad
"We made this as a new recipe for Thanksgiving and it was just gross. It might have been edible without the ginger, but even then, I cannot imagine it tasting good. We followed the recipe exactly and cannot imagine how this became a blue ribbon recipe."
"This recipe was disgusting. The ginger flavor overwhelmed everything else. It certainly did not taste like anything I've ever had in the South. It was fun to make and pretty to look at, but gross. :("