Southern Sunday Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut chicken pieces into thirds; place in the bag and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides; remove and keep warm. Add the onion, celery and mushrooms; cook until tender.
- Return chicken to the pan; add broth. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Add to pan; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 273 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 27, 2012
The taste of this was okay. It was a lot of work for what it ended up being.
Apr 5, 2010
My family really liked this. I put about half as much paprika as the recipe suggested- as I am sensative to paprika.
Aug 14, 2008
This was really good, I had to add some salt free seasoning to the sauce though, it didn't have much flavor. After that though it was excellent