Southern Sunday Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Cut chicken pieces into thirds; place in the bag and shake to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides; remove and keep warm. Add the onion, celery and mushrooms; cook until tender.
- Return chicken to the pan; add broth. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Add to pan; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 273 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 183mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Feb 27, 2012
The taste of this was okay. It was a lot of work for what it ended up being.
Apr 5, 2010
My family really liked this. I put about half as much paprika as the recipe suggested- as I am sensative to paprika.
Aug 14, 2008
This was really good, I had to add some salt free seasoning to the sauce though, it didn't have much flavor. After that though it was excellent