At the end of the summer, we search our garden for the last few remaining vegetables and add them to this salad. This dish nicely pairs with corn, beans and seasonings.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add peppers and carrots; cook for 2 minutes. Blend in flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add water and vinegar, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Add corn and beans. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add the ham, chives and lemon-pepper; toss. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 222 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Succotash Salad in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Mar 23, 2014
A big thumbs down! Wish I could give it a no stars. should have known that it wasn't going to taste good when I saw to add vinegar, sugar,and flour. Please don't do this to yourself or family. ..they're innocent victims.