Southern-Style Egg Rolls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes2 dozen (2-1/3 cups sauce)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- EGG ROLLS:
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen turnip greens, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients until blended. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- For egg rolls, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, green onions, soy sauce and garlic powder until blended; stir in turnip greens, cheese, black-eyed peas and sausage.
- With one corner of an egg roll wrapper facing you, place 3 tablespoons filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining wrapper edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll egg roll up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 egg roll with 4 teaspoons sauce: 373 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2018
They turned out terrific my family loved them
Jan 2, 2017
These are great egg rolls. I was looking for a recipe for Southwest egg rolls and came across this recipe. It turned out great!
Nov 6, 2014
These are super yummy! I made a batch trying them out and they were perfect. The mayo dipping sauce is fantastic. You must try these.