Southern-Style Egg Rolls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes2 dozen (2-1/3 cups sauce)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- EGG ROLLS:
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen turnip greens, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup canned black-eyed peas
- 24 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients until blended. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- For egg rolls, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 6-8 minutes; drain. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, green onions, soy sauce and garlic powder until blended; stir in turnip greens, cheese, black-eyed peas and sausage.
- With one corner of an egg roll wrapper facing you, place 3 tablespoons filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining wrapper edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll egg roll up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 egg roll with 4 teaspoons sauce: 373 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
May 29, 2019
These were great. I wouldn't change a thing.
Mar 5, 2018
They turned out terrific my family loved them
Jan 2, 2017
These are great egg rolls. I was looking for a recipe for Southwest egg rolls and came across this recipe. It turned out great!
Nov 6, 2014
These are super yummy! I made a batch trying them out and they were perfect. The mayo dipping sauce is fantastic. You must try these.