- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry celery and onion in oil until tender. Add the peas, corn, thyme, garlic, salt and cayenne; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add broth and sine or additional broth; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add spinach and rice; cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until heated through and spinach is wilted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Stir-Fry
"I had this recipe saved for a while, sorry I didn't make it sooner! I used rice that had been cooked in chicken broth, so while not vegetarian it was a delicious meatless meal that I'll be making again very soon. The other change I made was to use drained and rinsed canned corn instead of frozen. Instead of the cayenne, I added hot sauce plus seasoned it with Creole Seasoning to give it a little extra kick."
"This is a great, easy to make meal that's different from the ordinary. Use the cayenne or Tabasco to give it some kick."