- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add the cumin and cayenne; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in the pecans, sugar and salt until well coated. Spread in a single layer in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews forSouthern Spiced Pecans
"I have the TOH issue (Dec/Jan 2003) where this was originally published. I checked it and found that it calls for 1/4 cup butter, not 1/2 cup. There is a typo here and that is why the other reader found there was too much butter. In fact, even with 1/4 cup butter, I increase the pecans to 4 cups and add more seasonings. Its a terrific recipe."
"It wouldn't be the holidays if I didn't make these pecans. I add more spices because I love them hot!"
"In regards to the review of bonjourlyn, the recipe I have used for Spicy Pecans is identical in every way EXCEPT the amount of butter is half of what this one is. You might try that revision; I think you will be more pleased with the results!"
"Very disappointed that this did not turn out as in my opinion there is far too much butter left over after baking and not absorbed therefore making these to wet & greasy to store."