Southern Shrimp & Grits
“This is just an old Southern stick-to-your-ribs dinner combining fresh shrimp, a medley of peppers, onion and creamy cheese grits. It’s great served with corn bread and sliced tomatoes.” —Melissa Birdsong, Gilbert, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and pepper strips in oil until crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, parsley and lemon juice; saute 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
- Stir cheese and sour cream into grits; serve with shrimp mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 448 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 146mg cholesterol, 899mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Shrimp & Grits in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.