Southern Plantation Cornbread
I get this recipe years ago from my college roommate's mother. I've tried a lot of other corn bread recipes since, but none compares to this one—with the ham baked in, it's much more like a complete meal than simply a bread. I'm a home economics teacher, and I'm active in Future Homemakers of America, too. Besides cooking, I enjoy reading and cross-stitch.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 slices American cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 6 ounces diced breakfast ham or 1-1/2 cups diced ham
- In a saucepan, combine the flour, half-and-half cream and 1/2 cup butter until smooth; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese. Cool.
- Add the egg, whipping cream and sour cream until blended. Add remaining butter; fold into corn muffin mixes and ham. Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until set. (Do not overbake.)
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Southern Plantation Cornbread in Country Woman March/April 1989
Apr 23, 2011
This cornbread is to die for! Very rich, but oh, so yummy!
May 10, 2010
WOW!!! This is AMAZING!!! sooooo rich. i doubled the diced ham - turned out fabulous. Definate Recommend.