A dear friend from the South gave me the idea for this peachy cake. I add bourbon and top each slice with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream. —Trista Jefferson, Batavia, Ohio
Recommended: 30 Vintage Cakes Like Grandma Used To Make
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sliced peeled peaches or frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed
- 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. If desired, in a small bowl, combine peaches and bourbon; toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place 1/4 cup butter in a 12-in. ovenproof skillet; heat in oven 5-7 minutes or until butter is melted. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange peach slices over brown sugar.
- For batter, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition just until combined. Spread batter evenly over peaches.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Southern Peach Upside Down Cake in TasteofHome.com 2017