When this spicy stew's simmering on the stove, Beverly McDowell's family has a hard time waiting for dinner. "It's much like a thick tomato-based soup with a hearty mix of okra, brown rice and beans," she writes from Athens, Georgia. "Everyone leaves the table feeling satisfied...and eager to have it again soon."
Recommended: The 99 Most American Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, beans, tomato sauce and okra. Simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 11 servings.
Originally published as Southern Okra Bean Stew in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p63