- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels; discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute pepper, celery and onions in drippings until almost tender. Add rice, water and seasonings. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add peas and bacon; simmer 10 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Hoppin' John
"I had forgotten all about this recipe until it came out in the Dec 2016 issue. I used to make this all of the time . This version has celery while the one I used to make does not. I did add the celery and made as written; except I made mine today meatless and I added 1.5 cups shredded cheese....just like I used to make. My family thinks cheese makes everything better and it does!"