Southern Garden Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes9 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 12-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 5 teaspoons vegetable or beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup minced chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- In another Dutch oven or soup kettle, bring 6 cups water and bouillon to a boil. Add cauliflower and onions; cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, water chestnuts, spinach and seasonings; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 58 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 770mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 30, 2009
This is an easy soup to make, and has a wonderful flavor. The color is a little odd and the nutmeg smells a little strong, but don't let that fool you. First bite will make you a believer. I did omit the chestnuts.