- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic herb seasoning blend
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional salt and pepper, optional
- Pat okra dry with paper towels. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, seasoning blend and pepper. Dip okra in buttermilk, then roll in cornmeal mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry okra, a few pieces at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Fried Okra
"I want to try this recipe but why can't I put these recipes in my recipe box?"
"Down here in SC we call it Southern popcorn. A big bowl and a ball game cannot be beat! I usually buy frozen from a local source in my grocery but I'm gonna try this recipe since I grow okra. (I got problems with corn meal but have a trouble finding corn "flour")"
"My family loves fried okra. This recipe is one of the best ones. We love the texture of the batter."
"These were okay, but personally I like a little more flavor on my breading."
"Made exactly as directed. The best fried okra I've ever eaten...light, crispy and flavorful!"
"I've never made okra before but had some fresh from the farmers market and wanted to try it. I didn't have any cornmeal so I used corn muffin mix and I didn't have buttermilk so I made it with whole milk and vinegar. It turned out great! We loved it and this will be my go to recipe for fried okra!"