I can quickly prepare this chicken, bake it and have a hearty meal waiting for my husband at the end of the day. It's just right for his unpredictable farmer's schedule!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 40 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 egg
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon each paprika, dried oregano and tarragon
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Place chicken in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. In a small bowl, beat egg; add oil, garlic and seasonings. Pour over chicken, turning pieces to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, to the flour mixture. Seal bag and toss to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven or medium-high heat. Brown chicken on all sides. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 30-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
Originally published as Southern-Fried Fryer in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.