Southern Eggs and Biscuits
To me, nothing beats the flavor of Southern cooking, especially for breakfast! The rich flavor of these eggs served over homemade biscuits is a hearty way to start the day. —Ruth Ward, Lexington, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 10 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cubed Velveeta
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- Place eggs in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings. Sprinkle bacon over eggs.
- Whisk the flour, salt and pepper into reserved drippings until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese until melted; pour over eggs.
- For biscuits, cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk; gently knead six to eight times. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake biscuits and eggs at 400° for 25 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Serve eggs over biscuits.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 667 calories, 39g fat (15g saturated fat), 317mg cholesterol, 1426mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.