- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Place raisins in a small bowl; pour water over. Let stand for about 10 minutes to soften; drain. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, 2/3 cup sugar, vanilla and raisins. Pour half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Butter both sides of bread; arrange in a single layer over egg mixture. Cover with remaining egg mixture. Combine cinnamon with remaining sugar; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar; cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in cream. Return to the heat; cook and stir 8-10 minutes longer or until thickened and golden-colored. Serve warm over a slice of bread pudding. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Bread Pudding
"this is by far my husband's favorite bread pudding recipe! Very rich and wonderful. The sauce is amazing!"