Southern Barbecued Pork
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 cups deli coleslaw, optional
- Place the pork roast and onion in a Dutch oven. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, salt and cayenne; pour over roast. Cover and bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove roast; shred meat with two forks. Skim fat from pan juices. Return meat to the pan. Use a slotted spoon to serve on rolls. Top with coleslaw if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 496 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 43g protein.
Jan 19, 2020
OMG! Just perfect! Been looking for a southern pork bbq recipe and I have finally found it. My roast was 8 lb. so i made the recipe 1 1/2 times usually all of the ingredients in the recipe. Awesome! The only thing I did differently was added an extra 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes and I could have used more. I threw mine in the crock pot for 10 hours and when i woke up, i had a mess! My butt was too big for the pot and it overflowed. But overall, it was devine w/or without coleslaw.
Oct 2, 2011
I just realized that my pork roast was only 1.75 pounds, about half of what the recipe called for. That's why the sauce seemed so strong. My apologies ... try this recipe.
Oct 1, 2011
If you want a sandwich that smacks you in the face, then this recipe is for you! The zesty flavor of this fork is followed by the burn from the cayenne pepper. [I used apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar and added a teaspoon of liquid smoke.]