Southern Apple Fritters
I’ve been making these golden fritters for more than 25 years. Family and friends gobble them up, so I’m thankful they’re quick and easy! —Mary Shivers, Ada, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup grated unpeeled apples
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg, milk, orange juice, butter, vanilla and orange zest; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the apples.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 163 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Easy Apple-Orange Fritters in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.