South Seas Sugar Cookies
Also among the "treasures" at our pirate theme party were these yummy soft cookies. They have a mellow honey-lemon flavor and a vibrant almond icing. For a fun Polynesian look, I used pineapple and palm tree cookie cutters to shape them.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Yellow-gold, brown and green paste food coloring
- Yellow and orange colored sugar
- Chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until smooth. Beat in the honey, egg and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with pineapple and palm tree cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the butter, shortening, extract, salt, confectioners' sugar until smooth; add enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Tint 1 cup frosting yellow-gold, 1/2 cup brown and 2-1/2 cups green.
- Frost pineapples yellow-gold and tree trunks brown. With a toothpick, draw lines on pineapples; sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #21 star tip. Fill the bag with green frosting; pipe leaves on pineapples and palm trees. Add chocolate chips to palm trees for coconuts.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as South Seas Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home August/September 2001