South Seas Skillet
Soy sauce, raisins, water chestnuts and toasted almond lend to this dish's tropical flavor. Served over rice, it's a filling entree that satisfies my family.—Bernice Muilenburg, Molalla, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Fresh orange slices
- Hot cooked rice
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add peas, water chestnuts, mushrooms, broth, raisins, soy sauce and ginger; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with almonds and orange slices. Serve over rice.
To toast nuts, bake them in a shallow baking pan at &350° for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring twice. Or brown in a skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 213 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 1120mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as South Seas Skillet in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.