- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups chopped seeded tomatoes, divided
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium green peppers
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 grape tomatoes, halved, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in 1/2 cup tomatoes, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, oregano and cayenne. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Cut green peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water. Spoon about 1/3 cup beef mixture into each pepper half.
- Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and filling is heated through.
- Top with the remaining tomatoes. Garnish with sour cream, cheese, green onions and grape tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSouth-of-the-Border Stuffed Peppers
"I agree with jjohio...I felt it was bland and should have had rice or quinoa or something other than meat and vegetables stuffed inside the pepper. Wouldn't make again."
"Unfortunately I can't second the rave reviews. I followed the recipe exactly - the only thing was I was out of ground beef so subbed in ground pork, not sure if that would have changed the recipe that much. I just didn't think it had a lot of flavor, and it was a bit bland. It was fine to eat for dinner but not something I would repeat."
"Made this for dinner tonight, and everyone loved it. This is a keeper."
"Liked it alot."
"we loved it"
"I found this recipe in one of the Taste of Home magazines and it has been one of our favorite recipes (among 100's of recipes). My husband just loves them and asks for them all the time."