I like to get creative in the kitchen, and this is one of the first dishes I threw together without using a recipe. It boats a zesty Mexican flavor everyone is sure to love. —Rebecca Spoolstra, Pilot Point, Texas
Recommended: 25 Ways to Eat Eggs All Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 red chili peppers, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 small limes
- 12 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- Crumbled cotija cheese, optional
- In a small bowl, mix avocados, cilantro, chili peppers and salt. Finely grate lime peels. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes. Stir lime peel and juice into avocado mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Top with avocado mixture. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as South-of-the-Border Bruschetta in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p222