VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salted sunflower kernels
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. On two slices, layer with cheese, zucchini, tomato, carrot and sunflower kernels. Top with remaining bread, mayonnaise side down. Spread butter over the outside of bread.
- In a large skillet, cook over medium heat until bread is lightly toasted and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sourdough Veggie Sandwiches in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p8