Sour Cream Twists
When I was a little girl, my mother bought me an Easy Bake oven, and my "cookie-making career" was off and running. Now that I have my own family, I bake even more. At Christmas I make as many as 30 different kinds of cookies! This particular recipe has been in my family for generations. —Kathy Floyd, Greenville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Red or green colored sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 5 minutes. In a bowl, stir together flour and salt. Cut in butter an shortening until particles are the size of small peas. Stir in eggs, sour cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the yeast mixture. Mix thoroughly (dough will be stiff and resemble pie pastry).
- Combine white sugar and remaining vanilla; lightly sprinkle 1/2 cup over a pastry cloth. Roll out half of the dough into a rectangle. Sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon of the sugar mixture plus some red or green colored sugar. Fold rectangle into thirds (fold one end of dough over center and fold other end over to make three layers).
- Give dough a quarter turn and repeat rolling, sugaring, and folding two more times. Roll out into a 16-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut into 3-in. x 1-in. strips. Twist each strip two or three times. Place on chilled ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, sugar mixture and colored sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Immediately remove cookies to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 106 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 60mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sour Cream Twists in Country Extra November 1992