Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5-7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream and vanilla. Beat on low just until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- 2. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.
1 piece: 311 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 21, 2019It tastes amazing. I really love it.
Oct 17, 2018Pretty much like my grandmother’s recipe. She whipped the egg whites and folded them in at the end. We have always frosted the cake with 8 oz cream cheese, 1 stick butter, juice of one lemon, 1 tsp vanilla and one pound of confectioners sugar. A huge red velvet poinsettia in the center makes it a perfect holiday cake.
Oct 17, 2018This is my Grandma's recipe as well. Love it! She to was the postmaster of her little town in Ohio. I sure do miss her and all her baked goodies! Thanks for sharing and letting me remember the days of past!
Jul 10, 2018- ee
Jul 10, 2018Loved it
Jun 21, 2018I doubled the recipe to use up a lot of sour cream I had on hand and baked it in four loaf pans - two regular batter, one with a dash of cinnamon sugar, and one with lemon extract and lemon zest. I froze all but one regular loaf. Easy recipe, nice moist texture, good vanilla butter taste. I will be making this again for future church Bake Sales!
Jun 2, 2018
Made this today for the 1st time! Terrific and easy! Although I baked this for the suggested minimum 1 1/4 hr time and it was great-- dense, buttery, moist. I did make some adjustments : sugar was reduced to 1 1/3 cup, added juice and zest of 1 lemon and added about 1 cup and a half of sour cream. Delicious and impossible to have just 1 slice. Very easy to assemble. This will be my go-to pound cake for sure. Will also think of baking other flavors.... maybe with orange zest next time.
May 18, 2018
This recipe is AWESOME! I made it earlier today and this will definitely be my "go to" pound cake recipe from now on. I made the cake exactly as posted, except I added a small splash of almond extract. The cake was near perfection, but I'd like to make a bit more moist. I'm fairly certain I didn't over-bake it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Apr 25, 2018
I've made this several times now and everyone raves how good it is. I do add a cup of frozen blueberries and lemon zest in the batter. Then I make a top it confectionary sugar frosting with fresh lemon juice to make it to the right consistency.
Apr 21, 2018