Sour Cream Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, combine water, bouillon, potatoes, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add 1-3/4 cups milk. Combine flour with remaining milk; stir to form a smooth paste. Add to soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add a small amount of hot liquid to sour cream; stir to mix. Gradually add to soup, stirring constantly; heat through but do not boil. Add parsley and chives just before serving. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 cup: 220 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Sour Cream Potato Soup
"This soup is amazing! It was chock-full of flavor. If you love the taste of potatoes with sour cream & chives, you will adore this soup! I only have dry herbs on hand, so I added dried chives & parsley at the beginning with the potatoes - about a teaspoon of each. I also used half milk & half heavy cream. YUM!"
"I am a doctor-er, the magic was better with a heaping tablespoon of Ranch Dip powder added to the sour-cream mixture! Delish recipe for using up pantry items and a belly warmer for cold winter days! Oh and topped with crumbled bacon! SO GOOD!"
"This is very bland if you follow the recipe as printed. I added a 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 8 slices of crumbled bacon with additional salt and pepper. Tasted much better."
"I made this soup on a cold winter weekend, and it was delicious. I made two changes to the recipe. I used 2 cups of chicken broth (instead of the water & chicken bouillon) and swapped out the sour cream for 2 ounces of Velveeta. Even my picky son liked it! This is a recipe I will definitely make again!"
"Very tasty! I added some chopped carrots."
"I added broccoli, garlic, leeks and carrots. Once it was all cooked I pureed before adding the milk. I used some heavy cream in place of some of the milk because I had it on hand and wanted to use it up. I served it with sour cream and diced cooked bacon. It was excellent! My family loved it!"
"Perfect as written -- the best potato soup ever!"
"A variation to this wonderful soup, is to clean & snap fresh gr. beans (1-1 1/2 lbs); cover w/water; when done continue w/ recipe as written. If any water evaporated from beans, just add to to make 2 c. This is my mother's recipe. Now I make for my grandchildren. They love it!!"
"soup recipes like this don't LOOK like they'll taste delicious, but surprisingly enough, they do! I pureed it slightly, until there was small chunks and not huge chunks, because I like it that way. Next time I wouldn't add so much pepper - a tiny bit hot for my taste. But very very good!"
"my guests loved this soup. the sour cream sort of stumped me as it ended up a little lumpy. also i added some potato flakes as i used skim milk and it wasn't thick enough for me. this recipe is waaaay better than the one i have. thanks. G"
"I have made this many times it is so creamy everyone raves about it."
"This recipe is like mine. I add the flour to the sour cream. I have passed this recipe to my family and they love it."