Sour Cream Lemon Bread
My family always requests this light, tender bread with a hint of lemon. This loaf is so scrumptious that it complements almost any meal. I serve slices with a creamy lemon spread for an early-morning treat or late-night snack that's simply dreamy. -Barbara Strickler, Syracuse, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1 pound) and about 1/2 cup spread
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons warm whole milk (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- LEMON SPREAD:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a measuring cup, combine sour cream and lemon juice. Add enough milk to measure 1/2 cup. In a bread machine pan, place the sour cream mixture, butter, egg, lemon peel, sugar, salt, baking soda, flour and yeast in order suggested by manufacturer. Select sweet bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- In a small bowl, combine the spread ingredients; beat until smooth. Serve with the bread.
Editor's Note: We recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe. If your bread machine does not have a sweet bread setting, follow the manufacturer's directions using the basic setting.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 110 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sour Cream Lemon Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.