- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups warm sour cream (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, butter, salt and remaining sugar. Stir in baking powder, yeast mixture and 4 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 23-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut into 1-1/2-in. strips. Stack five strips together; cut into 1-1/2-in. pieces and place cut side up in a greased muffin cup. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSour Cream Fan Rolls
"I am asked to make these delicious rolls for every family holiday! Thank you for the recipe."
"these are the best tasting yeast rolls ever. made up dough using kitchen aid mixer and dough hook. the roll had a light, slightly sweet flavor. can't miss with this recipe!"
"This was a denser roll than I expected, but still good. Next time I'm going to make these into a loaf of bread instead of rolls though."