- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dissolve cocoa in boiling water; cool. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Add cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forSour Cream Chocolate Cake
"I made this cake for the first time for my husband's birthday party and it got raves! Really delicious with a great consistency and just the right amount of sweetness. The frosting also got raves."
"This cake baked up beautifully ! I used all purpose flour with great results. The layers were even and there was the perfect amount of icing to do the whole cake. The icing is a bit on the sweet side for me so next time I might try milk chocolate chips but it is definitely a keeper. I will make it again without hesitation. The presentation alone is stunning plus it tastes GREAT !Update * I had thought the icing was a bit too sweet just after assembling but tasted a few days later and it was perfect so I guess it needed time to do its thing. Still awesome !"
"Thank you, lailabakes, for sharing the 115g AP flour info. I added 2t cornstarch for each 115g AP flour then followed the recipe exactly. It made 48 delicious cupcakes! These are moist and chocolatey."
"A cup of butter, a cup of sour cream and 1 cup water, 4 eggs ... with 3 cups cake flour...no way this cake will come out dry... I am willing to bet anyone getting a dry cake did not measure the flour right. cake flour weighs less than all purpose flour. A cup of cake flour is 115 grams not 130 grams as in AP flour. Either use a scale and measure 345 grams for 3 cups cake flour or whisk the flour and then SCOOP with a spoon in measuring cup and swipe top... some people measure a cup and remove 2 tablespoons... not accurate but better than scoop from a compacted flour with measuring cup and swipe...... BIG DIFFERENCE...that is why good recipes are written in weights not volume... 2 other reasons for dry cake... over baking and over mixing after flour is added... I did not make the frosting....Happy baking..."
"Made this cake EXACTLY as instructed. Something I noticed, when mixing baking cocoa, mix in a separate bowl and not in the pan so it doesn't burn. My first time so I made that mistake and had to do it over!Anyway, this cake was not very moist. I had higher hopes and it just didn't do it. Came out just too dry and cakey. Next time I will bake with one less egg so it stays nice and moist. And with the ingredients costing about $20 it's not worth another mess up. cake was meh, alright. I didn't even want another piece and I made it for my boyfriends birthday."
"The ruffles are easily made with a chocolate ruffle tool. I found one at www.pastrychef.com ? Tools ? Candy, chocolate & Confectionery Tools but you may be able to find it elsewhere. To prevent the dry cake, I brushed the layers with a simple syrup / raspberry preserve liquid (with a little raspberry liquor in it) before frosting the cake. This added a great amount of flavor and made the layers moist. I get RAVE reviews on this one. My most requested cake."
"This was excellent. Very rich tasting. A big hit with the family"