- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups chopped peeled apples
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar and butter; blend at low speed until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Press about 2-3/4 cups into the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. To the remaining crumb mixture, add cinnamon, baking soda, salt, sour cream, vanilla and egg. Beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in apples. Spoon evenly over bottom layer. Bake at 3507° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forSour Cream Apple Squares
"This was moist and very tasty. I added 3 cups of apples."
"Made this exactly as written and we loved it! Moist and full of flavor"
"I also made this from a Pillsbury recipe inte 70's. It's very good with a scoop of vanilla icecream!"
"I too misplaced this recipe and am happy to recover it. We sometimes made it with a cream sauce."
"This recipe was really easy and absolutely delicious!"
"My grandmother came across this recipe in your magazine when I was younger and made it for special occasions. She misplaced the recipe and never found it again. I was so happy to find it again on your website!"
"I found this same recipe in an old Pillsbury Bakeoff book from the 70's. Is that you guys? Wow!"