VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in sour cream and egg yolk just until moistened. Shape into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, onion and mushrooms until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; drain. Stir in the sour cream, salt, oregano and pepper.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter. Place a rounded teaspoon of filling on one side of each circle; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with a fork. Reroll scraps; repeat.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Beat egg with water; brush over turnovers. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sour Cream and Beef Turnovers in Country February/March 2008, p51
Reviews forSour Cream and Beef Turnovers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 21, 2009
Reviewed Sep. 17, 2009
Reviewed Aug. 20, 2009
"sounds like something I need to try."