This recipe is a family favorite that always stirs up good memories and moments. It's requested for Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthday parties, potlucks and other gatherings. It's simple to make and delicious to eat. If I make it early in the day I finish this dish for about 20 minutes in the oven, but you can use the stovetop to free up oven space for the turkey. —Linda Williams, Florence, Alabama
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 pounds red potatoes (about 20 medium), peeled and quartered
- 1 carton (8 ounces) spreadable chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sour cream until blended. Add potatoes; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in butter, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Sour Cream & Chives Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p97