Sole with Cucumber Sauce
"Cucumbers and dill lend a mild pickle flavor to this sauce for sole," says Emily Chaney of Penobscot, Maine.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 sole or flounder fillets (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- In a large skillet, layer the cucumbers, onions, celery, parsley and dill; pour broth over all. Top with fillets; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Transfer fish to a serving platter and keep warm; reserve cucumber mixture in skillet. Combine cornstarch and cream until smooth; add horseradish. Stir into skillet. Simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over fish; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 278 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 121mg cholesterol, 381mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Sole with Cucumber Sauce in Taste of Home August/September 1998