Soft Yeast Pan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, salt and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add boiling water; cool to 110°-115°. Add eggs and yeast mixture; beat until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into nine pieces; shape into balls. Place in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 206 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 2, 2018
My family loves these.
May 23, 2010
I have made these several times and have found a family favorite.Do everything as the recipie calls for.Tip: adhere to recommended temperatures and be sure the yeast mixture rises before adding it to the dough. If the yeast doesn't rise then the bread won't either.
Jun 1, 2009
I have made these so many times, each with great results. They are always requested for family dinners.