- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 egg
- 7 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, salt and remaining sugar. Add boiling water; cool to 110°-115°. Add yeast mixture and eggs; mix well. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a grease bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Divide each portion into nine pieces; shape into balls. Place in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pans on wire racks. Yield: 27 rolls.
Reviews forSoft Yeast Pan Rolls
"I love this recipe. I make it for holidays w/my family."
"I have made these several times and have found a family favorite.Do everything as the recipie calls for.Tip: adhere to recommended temperatures and be sure the yeast mixture rises before adding it to the dough. If the yeast doesn't rise then the bread won't either."
"I have made these so many times, each with great results. They are always requested for family dinners."