- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a large bowl, combine butter, 1 cup sugar and molasses. Beat in egg until smooth. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt; stir into the molasses mixture.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSoft Spice Bars
"Realized my review didn't include any stars...5 stars...love these bars!"
"These are SO good! I top them with cream cheese icing. Yummy!"
"easy and delicious. We've made these for years. They roll very thin, so I make them in a smaller pan that suggested so they are a tiny bit thinner. Makes them more moist and chewy."
"Good bars when I was in the mood for something resembling ginger cookies, but I was looking for something simple. I subbed 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 c butter, and the texture was still pretty good. I smeared a thin layer of icing on the top, because I thought they could use it."
"I've made this recipe 4 times now and we love it. Always gets compliments. At a party I heard someone say "they look like brownies that didn't turn out but they taste really good""