- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda and spices; set aside. Combine molasses, orange juice and peel. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with the molasses mixture. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and enough orange juice to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cooled cookies. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forSoft Orange Molasses Drops
"The cookies are very good. I foound the dough to be sticky when putting in on the cookie sheets and ould recomend chilling it for 20 - 30 min to make it easier scooping. Really good cookies"