Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, divided use
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; cool. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, 1 egg, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in onion and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Let stand for 10 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 32 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Beat cold water and remaining egg; brush over breadsticks. Sprinkle half with sesame seeds and half with poppy seeds. Bake at 350° for 16-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
1 breadstick: 82 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.